Frequently Asked Questions
Office of Debt Recovery
What/who is the Office of Debt Recovery (ODR)?
Act 399, through La. R.S. 47:1676, established the ODR as a centralized debt collection unit authorized and required to collect delinquent debt owed to the state of Louisiana. It is a cooperative endeavor between the Louisiana Department of Revenue and the Louisiana Attorney General’s Office.
What statutes created and govern the operations of ODR? Where can I find a list of possible actions that can be taken on debt?
Visit the Legislative website at www.legis.state.la.us and click on the Search tab under Louisiana Laws Search. Enter Law Body RS, Rule Number 47 and then enter the section number as shown below:
- R.S. 47:1676 This statute sets up the Office of Debt Recovery and outlines the purpose and scope of the office;
- R.S. 47:296.2 Suspension and denial of renewal of drivers’ licenses;
- R.S. 47:296.3 Suspension, revocation, or denial of hunting and fishing licenses;
- R.S. 47:299 Offset of Individual income tax refunds against debts owed certain state agencies;
- R.S. 47:1570 Distraint defined;
- R.S. 47:1571 Distraint Procedure;
- R.S. 47:1572 Surrender of property subject to distraint;
- R.S. 47:1573 Sale of distrained property;
- R.S. 47:1677 FIDM - Financial Institute Data Match.
Can I set up a payment arrangement?
To set up payment arrangements, please contact ODR at 225-219-2188 or 844-330-6176.
For tax debt only, please visit http://revenue.louisiana.gov/EServices/CreditCardPayments
What should I do if I believe I have paid this debt?
If you believe you have previously paid this liability in full, please mail a copy of the ODR letter with your account number along with proof of payment to:Office of Debt Recovery - P.O. Box 3317, Baton Rouge, LA 70821 ATTN: ODR – Accounts Receivable Correspondence
I received a letter from ODR indicating that I owe a debt. Is there someone I can contact regarding this letter?
Each letter contains contact information regarding the “original owner of the debt”. Even though the debt is now officially placed with ODR, the contact information depends on the original owner of the debt. There are three categories - Tax Debt (LDR), Office of Motor Vehicles (OMV), and all others agencies.
Tax Debt (Louisiana Department of Revenue – LDR)
Questions – Due to the unique nature of tax debt, only LDR can answer tax questions. Please call the LDR Customer Service Center at: (855) 307-3893.
Payments – For your convenience, payments for tax debt that has been referred to ODR including the ODR fee can be made by either of the following methods:
- Mail-in: Payment should be made payable to the Louisiana Office of Debt Recovery and mailed to P.O. Box 3317, Baton Rouge, LA 70821, ATTN: Accounts Receivable Tax. To ensure proper credit, please print your account number on your payment. Do not mail cash.
- Website: Credit or debit card - Visa, MasterCard, Discover or American Express; Please visit http://revenue.louisiana.gov/EServices/CreditCardPayments
- In Person: You may pay in person either in the Baton Rouge office located at 617 North Third Street or in the New Orleans office located at 1450 Poydras Street Suite 800 (Next to the Mercedes-Bens Superdome)
Office of Motor Vehicles (OMV)
Payments – For your convenience, payments for OMV debt including the ODR fee can be made by either of the following methods.
- Mail-in: Money order, cashier’s check, or certified check made payable to the Office of Motor Vehicles; Send Payment to: P.O. BOX 64886, BATON ROUGE, LOUISIANA 70896-4886
- Telephone: Credit or debit card - Visa, MasterCard, Discover or American Express; Please call: (225) 925-6146 (An additional fee of $5.00 will be assessed when paying over the phone)
- In Person: Local Motor Vehicle Office – Cash, money order, cashier’s check or certified check or debit/credit card*. (* When using a credit or debit card, an additional $1.25 plus 1% of the total charge will be added to your fee.)
All Other Agencies (Not LDR or OMV)
- Mail-in: Payment should be made payable to the Louisiana Office of Debt Recovery and mailed to P.O. Box 3317, Baton Rouge, LA 70821. To ensure proper credit, please print your account number on your payment and include a copy of the letter or the payment voucher located on the letter. Do not mail cash.
I have moved to another address. What should I do to update my mailing information?
For Tax Debt - Contact LDR Customer Service at (855) 307-3893 to update your address.
For ODR Debt – Please send a letter to Office of Debt Recovery – P.O. Box 3317, Baton Rouge, LA 70810 Attn: Address Correction
top of page